20 Quick Tips on Writing Great Blog Posts
In preparation for an interview on writing great blog content, I jotted down some ‘quick tips’.
While they are all short I hope that they might spark some ideas (I’ve included a few links for further reading on some of the points) – enjoy!
- Tell your story– it is one of the key things that will make your content stand out of the crowd
- Share how you feel – it will take your readers to a deeper place and make it more relatable
- You’ll never please everyone – the sooner you make peace with this reality, the better!
- Write about things that matter to you – passion is infectious and your readers will catch ahold of it. Tell the world something important.
- Inform, inspire and interact – aim to do these things every week (read more on this)!
- Experiment with different styles of writing – it will help you find your voice
- Mix up the length of your posts – short can be sweet but long can be epic!
- When an idea strikes – drop everything and capture it!
- Do everything you can to understand who is reading your blog – it will make you much more useful to them.
- Before you publish – ask what you want your reader to do after reading your post – and edit accordingly. Calls to action are important!
- Become hyper aware of problems – and obsessively write posts that solve them.
- Put aside time to create quality content – it doesn’t just appear
- Put aside time to edit and your posts – it will take them to the next level
- Get a life – you’ll be a much more interesting writer if you’ve lived a little
- Ask your readers questions – it will make them feel like they belong and you’ll learn a lot from their answers!
- Take your readers on a journey – posts that build from one to another can be powerful. Build momentum and create anticipation and you’ll hook readers for the long term.
- Brainstorm regularly – generating ideas for future posts now can save a lot of pain later and help you keep things rolling. I highly recommend mind mapping.
- Not every post needs to go viral – shareable content will help you grow but it may not serve your current readers best.
- Write, Write Write – the more you practice, the better you will get
- Publish selectively – you don’t need to publish everything you write
What quick blog writing tips would you add?
For more blog writing tips check out the new ProBlogger Podcast.